Monday, October 22, 2012

My Sideboard

I was looking at my sideboard this morning, thinking I want to change things out for the upcoming Thanksgiving.   Before I do that, I'd like to share a photo of what it looks like right now.  
Colonial Williamsburg Sideboard

The oval mirror over the sideboard came from an estate sale (surprise).  It was a bargain price of $50.  I found an old eagle that used to be on a federal mirror, it looks nice watching over the activities in the dining room.

Mirror fragment of an eagle
I have alot of items that have eagles on them.  They always catch my eye, and I'm delighted to find them in any form, but wood carved are the favorites.

On each side of the mirror, I have 19th century plates, a Royal Crown Derby Imari pattern called "Kings", and two Imari vases.


I like the little wall brackets with oromlu "ribbon" swagged.  They are the perfect size for the Imari vases.   Imari has wonderful colors that look so great.  The coral and the blue complement each other perfectly.  The plates are older, probably 1850's.

I don't have alot of Imari, but I do enjoy it.  You can find lots of Imari on ebay for really great prices compared to the high end shows around the country.

The American Brilliant cut glass pieces, made from 1880-1910, are a Hawkes flower center, Pairpoint candlesticks, and a Libbey water set.
They are all engraved.  The water set is cut and engraved cherries, the flower center has carnations and the candlesticks have daisies and swirls.

The last statue is something I've always liked.  I have no clue as to its age or who they are.  I just like the look of them on the sideboard!

That's the story on the sideboard.  I hope to come up with a fall-scape in time for Thanksgiving.  Moving on, weekend antiquing was fun.  I found a wonderful piece of embroidery, with gilt metallic thread.



 I left the photo large so you could see the detailed work.   What would you do:  hang it up as is, or cut it up and make pillows?


5 comments:

  1. Everything looks so pretty! Love that Imari vase and that little shelf that it sits on! Your cut glass pieces are very nice too. Thanks for sharing! Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,
      When I bought those shelves I thought "there's no way my husband is going to like these, too fussy". Well, he loves Imari, so he never said anything about them!

      Delete
  2. Your sideboard and vignette are beautiful! I would frame that embroidery....How gorgeous! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, I have to confess, I actually found two embroideries, both different. They would look great as a pair framed!

      Delete
  3. Never cut these up. They are fine 18th C examples of textile handiwork by an expert. Design reminiscent of Crewel work of the period.

    ReplyDelete